Feb 16 Field Trip: Dave Dubois Kokomo YMCA

















Our first Field Trip to get some leadership insights from Kokomo YMCA Director, Dave Dubois, whose been a leader in the Y since 1983.

Dave dove in by giving us a poignant and revealing insight into his life before Christ, his conversion, and his life now. It was powerful and he was incredibly transparent.

Here are just some high points of our great time with Dave:

"I've learned that bar none, the most powerful witness to people, be it my employees or anyone for that matter, is humility. Humility goes 1,000 miles in the eyes of the unsaved. Humility is the difference of being a Christ Follower rather than just a 'religious guy.'"

"When you mess up--it's simple: apologize. A leader is never too big to say when he's wrong."

"The most critical leadership component is creating and maintaining a good team. So goes your team, so goes your business. A dysfunctional team is a lose for everyone. Keeping people from slipping into dysfunctional behavior is a great daily challenge."

"A great way to maintain a healthy team is to insistent upon conflict resolution within your team. I'll talk to each of the people individually and then bring them together. Sometimes they can work it out with each other; other times I'll mediate. But I'll make sure last 10% conversations happen. It's key to maintaining a healthy team."

"John Maxwell has been a huge influence on me. He helped me realize that as a leader, I have to grow up other leaders. I can never lead the organization to reach its potential by myself--I'll only get there with the help of other leaders. So make sure you invest in your people--they are your success."

"Take criticism and learn from your mistakes. People will criticize both for your right & wrong decisions--listen to them, but in the end, do the right thing whether it's popular or not."

"For you as young men, one of my biggest suggestions is to listen and seek advice from people who've been where you are. Seek counsel from those older people who've gone before you. If I could do one thing different when I was a young leader, it would be to ask more questions and engage more dialogue with older wiser men."

"When an older person shoots down an idea with a remark like, 'We tried that before and it didn't work.' Don't let that shut down the conversation. Instead, in a humble spirit ask, 'Tell me why you think it didn't.' That could continue the dialogue that finds a new way to win."

"Intentionally pull opinions from those around you--especially those people who think differently--that's something good leaders do."

"Involve a lot of people in the process--make other people part of the solution. Leadership isn't a solo endeavor."

"Your leadership is wasted if you don't use it well."

A big thank you to Dave for spending a couple hours with us, sharing from his heart, and giving us just some of his wealth of experience and leadership learnings.